Our desires are His desires

Phil 2: 12-13
Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

I was reading this the other day and it really spoke to me. I do believe that God is a dreamgiver and that He gives us dreams and desires. He put desires in our heart to lead us the way, to His plan for our lives.
John 15 tell us that if we abide ( live with God and become like Him) in Christ, if we continue our relationship with the Lord and dwell with Him over a period of time, His word will abide in us. If we ask Him what we desire He will give it to us. Matthew 7:7 says "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you."

So now you probably ask which desires are from God and which ones are your own. If you're not sure, pray about it. That's what I do. Sometimes I have very strong desires and I pray for those desires. It's up to God what He wants to do with it. But remember no matter how much we may desire something if we don't have peace deep in our hearts about it, then it's not right for us.

3 comments:

Kimmer said...

Hey Jackie,
I love those verses from Phil 2 that you posted. Your post made me think of a time a few years ago.... Jim Cymbala was speaking at my church and he said something interesting about God's grace.... he read the verse that said it is by grace you were saved and he elborated with other verses that it is by God's grace that he puts in us the desire to do things to grow in Him such as spend time with Him in prayer, reading the Word, etc. So when the Holy Spirit draws us to Him by prompting us to spend time with Him, it is by the grace of God He has given us that prompting. The same with desires of ministry that He has placed in our hearts. And I remember him saying whatever He has for you to do in life, He will give you the grace to accomplish it, as well.

One time too when I was asking some advice of one of my pastors on a decision to make... it was something I wanted...and was being offered to me; my pastor referred to the verse Col 3:15 'let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts' and he said that the literal translation refers to it as an umpire in a sporting event- let the peace of Christ make the decision- make the call - So that helped me to know even though part of me wanted this thing that was being offered to me, I knew I did not have the peace of God about this circumstance(not at all) and it was not the right thing to pursue. The last paragraph of your post reminded me of that verse in Colossians :)
Hope that you are doing well; good to hear from you
blessings Jackie :)

Kendra said...

Hey chica! I slept all afternoon and now I can't fall asleep. Glad to hear you are still processing about your dreams. So, you never answered one of my questions -- what is YOUR dream that is in your heart?

Anonymous said...

I have a great talk by Mr. G. when he was here .He asks what is God's "Call" on your life? Maybe thats a different angle to ponder?
Love Blue.